Thursday, September 1, 2011

September Spotlight Staff Member

SLI is pleased and proud to announce that the September Spotlight Staff Member of the month is none other than Kathy Berry!



Kathy is the Vice President of Operations and Director of the Professional Development Team at SLI, and an amazing asset to the organization!  Let's get to know a little more about Mrs. Berry...

SLI: How did you become involved in the organization, Kathy?

KB: When I was teaching at Johnson school, John (Simmons, President of SLI), was hired as a consultant to assist us with School Improvement planning and Looking at Student Work protocols.  When I left teaching to have children, I stayed in touch with John and began working as a consultant for SLI.

SLI: What is the biggest change you'd like to see in education in the future?

KB: The biggest change I would like to see is empowerment for principals, teachers, parents and students.  It is critical that the key stakeholders solve the issues and resolve the problems facing the schools.  They are an untapped resource and have the answers.  They just need to be heard and given the authority and the resources to act.

SLI: What are you currently reading?

KB: The Help by Kathryn Stockett and Focus by Mike Schmoker

SLI: Who inspires you?

KB: I am inspired by friends and family who are facing obstacles and are able to keep a positive mental outlook and treat each day as a blessing.

SLI: What is your favorite hobby?

KB: I enjoy singing and spending time with my family and friends.  I love to laugh and make others laugh as well.  Research shows we will live longer!

SLI: What would be your dream vacation?

KB: I would like to go to New York for an extended period of time and see every musical that is currently playing on Broadway at least once.

SLI: Tell us one secret about yourself...

KB: For those of you that know me I tend to share all my secrets, but one thing you may not know is that I do have a “shy” side when I am in new situations with new people.

SLI: Where do you see yourself in ten years?

KB: Just finishing seeing my daughters graduating from college and I see myself with a doctorate in education/human resources.  In the next ten years I would like to be working in a role that utilizes my expertise and talents in human resources and education.
Thanks for letting us get to know you, Kathy, and Congratulations on a job well done!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment